Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Creative Writing for Reluctant Writers

I have a very reluctant 7 year old writer. It is painstakingly difficult, or at least he seems to make it that way whenver we do some type of creative writing task.

I know many will say just leave it and it will come with time. Continue with other activities, lots of reading and copywork and I hear that I really do. However I would still like us to be doing just a little bit of creative writing, even just the tiniest amount would make this mummy happy.

We have just started using Write Shop but haven't prgoressed far enough with the program for me to give any kind of honest review on it as yet. The first couple of lessons have been quite easy though and so far it appears to be helping.

When I saw what Ami @ Walkig By The Way did with her son I thought I would give it a go. A brief run down on the task: 1. Choose a story title. 2. Take turns rolling the dice whatever number you roll you have to add to the story by writing that number of words. However I forgot that she mixed it up between them. I just had B7 do it all himself, so with each throw of the dice he had to write that many words.

I gave him a few story titles to choose from and he chose, 'The Day I Swam With Sharks.' This was still a pretty difficult exercise in that it was hard work to get anything out of him...maybe he just wasn't in a creative mood! However this is also the most he has ever written so we will be doing this exercise again. I think next time I will mix it up though with me taking turns as well, just to take a little bit of the pressure off him.

I'd love to see other creative writing ideas so if you have any be sure to link me up in the comments. :)

-------------------------------------------------
Sites Of Interest

Write Shop Program

Ami, Walking By The Way

Kinder Corner Story Starters

Story It Story Starters

First School Years Story Starters

-------------------------------------------------

3 comments:

Wendy said...

We have not tackled creative writing yet, and it might be some years before we do. I have a reluctant reader. One can not write creatively if one can not read first. *sigh*

But I do look forward to learning more about how you progress with the creative writing.

We do have a book: "If you're trying to teach kids how to write, you've gotta have this book!" by Marjorie Frank.

We aren't ready to use it yet, but it has some really interesting ideas. It talks about encouraging creativity, writing on a variety of surfaces (paper of all sorts, old window shades, rocks, fabric, wrapping paper, clear filmstrips, boxes, bricks, and more), things to write with (pencils, crayons, chalk, paint, rubber stamps, words or phrases cut from magazines, markers, feathers, toothpicks, etc.), and creating a "writer's nook".

It has a chapter on encouraging independence, ideas for writing (instead of a story, maybe a comic strip, encyclopedia entry, legend, observation, puzzle, riddle, just to name a few from a loooong list of ideas).

So perhaps you could find this book at your local library and see if it is of interest.

Kylie said...

Hi Wendy Thanks for such an informative comment. Yes his reading level is probably not where it should be to expect a novel out of him. We'll keep working along slowly and I will have a look out for that book thanks. :)

Together Time 4 Families said...

Kylie,
Stop over at Togethertime4families.com and read my posts about journal writing strategies for beginning writers. I think there are at least 5 writing posts about the scaffold method. This method provides structure to writing for the beginner. See what you think.
http://www.togethertime4families.com/2010/07/scaffolded-writing-method.html
Susan
http://www.togethertime4families.com

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a lovely comment :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Design by: Relevant Designs